Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Gramma's Chicken Piccata


Chicken has been feeling so boring and played out to me lately, so I decided I would try something new and different.  I have had my Gramma's Chicken Piccata recipe for years, and thought I should give it a whirl.

I love that I have a recipe or two that my Gramma Gilbert wrote for me.  It makes it special to see her handwriting and know I am making a recipe that she loved too. She was such an amazing cook, and while she doesn't cook anymore, I still have some favorite dishes that she has taught us how to make.  One of my favorites was her chokecherry jelly. You can check out our attempt at jelly here.

I made just a few changes to this recipe. 
Enjoy~

Ingredients
1 to 1 and a half pounds of chicken breasts
Flour-enough for coating the chicken
3 TBS of butter
Juice of 1 lemon
2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
1 small jar of Capers- the amount you use can vary based on how much you LOVE capers. if you are like me you will use 3 big spoonfuls
salt and pepper


Start by pounding chicken to a uniform thickness of about 1 inch thick.  Salt and Pepper the chicken to your liking and then coat both sides with flour.  Melt butter in the skillet on medium/high heat and then brown chicken. 

Remove the chicken from the skillet and add lemon juice and chicken broth to the skillet. Boil down to about half a cup. I didn't measure this, but rather judged the amount based on the thickness of the broth. 

Place chicken back in the skillet with the capers and cook another 3 to 5 minutes.

Serve and enjoy!


I chose to make a very basic pasta to serve on the side- whole wheat penne, olive oil, basil and parm.  The light flavor blended perfectly with the Chicken Piccata.

xo,
Kara


1 comment:

  1. Have you seen on Etsy how you can put a recipe on a dish towel? Wouldn't your grammy's recipe be adorable on a dish towel? I also saw how you can have your grandma handwrite it and then frame it in your kitchen! This one would be perfect.
    My grandma's would read something like "throw in some salt, and some sugar, and some flour, roll it out- you have cinnamon rolls!" Haha!

    ReplyDelete