Thursday, February 6, 2014

Cold Temps=Comfort Food

It has been absolutely freezing here in Denver the past few days.  No seriously, like negative 10 degrees freezing.  When you step outside it chills you to the bone. I am not a fan of this kind of cold.  And if we are being honest I don't really love the freezing temps combined with ice and snow much past Christmastime. I love a White Christmas complete with a sleigh ride and hot cocoa, but then spring might as well just pop up come January 2nd. :)  

I digress.....so while I was home today, I thought we needed some good for the soul, warm us up, comfort food.  One of my favorite hearty dishes in the winter is Bolognese.  It's easy to make and has our home smelling wonderful all day long as it simmers on the stove top.  One of my favorite go to recipes is Giada De Laurentiis' Simple Bolognese.  You can find the recipe here, or you can follow along with me. 

Giada's Simple Bolognese

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
1 carrot, coarsely chopped
1 pound ground beef
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano


Heat Olive Oil in a pan then add Onion and Garlic.  Saute until onions are soft and start to become translucent. 






Add Carrots and Celery and continue to saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes


Add ground beef and brown until no longer pink-make sure to break meat down into smaller pieces


Add tomatoes, parsley and basil along with salt and pepper


Cook on low until sauce thickens and flavors meld together


*At this point I also like to add the cheese so its' flavor gets a chance to blend in as well. Giada's recipe says to wait until right before you serve.  Whichever you like is just fine-the more cheese the better as far as I'm concerned :)  I also like to double this recipe so I have some to keep in the freezer for an easy weeknight meal!


This is such a yummy dish for a cold winter day. It goes best with a slice of crusty ciabatta bread, and a generous glass of Chianti :)

  

Mangiamo!

xo,
Kara  

No comments:

Post a Comment